Tuesday 14 February 2012

Free films on Fridays

I know it's been a while since I last posted. I've been focusing on other things over the last few months but I have still been taking advantage of having more time when I can and there was one event that I managed to take advantage of recently that made me realise I really should start blogging again.

The lovely people behind the Nunhead and Peckham Free Film Festival have organised Free Film Fridays during February. Basically, it does exactly what it says on the tin. There's a free film at 1.30pm every Friday this month at Buchan Road Tenants and Residents Hall, Buchan Road, SE15 (near Nunhead station). There's free tea and biscuits available too before and after each of the screenings for those who have time to arrive early or stick around afterwards for a chat.

I went along to the first showing the week before last. The film was Passport to Pimlico an Ealing Comedy made in 1949 and shot partly in Lambeth despite being set North of the river. The after effects of the war are very much in evidence in the film from the continued impact of rationing on daily life to the bombsites that still need to be cleared and made safe. It is whilst playing on one of these bombsites that a group of children accidently denonate an unexploded bomb. No-one is hurt but when the local grocer falls in the bomb crater he stumbles a treasure trove and a document that is to have a major impact on the residents of that part of Pimilico and test the British government's negotiating powers to the limit.

I don't want to say too much more about the plot than that as I really knew nothing of the story before I saw the film and enjoyed it all the more for that. It is very funny, particularly the various attempts by the public to outwit officaldom, and needless to say there is a happy, though typically British, ending!

Last Friday, they showed An American in Paris which I didn't see (it's a musical which isn't really my thing) and the film this Friday is 84 Charing Cross Road which I would like to see but I don't think I'm going to be able to make it. It's based on the book and play of the same name and tells the story of the lengthy correspondence between an American woman and the manager and staff of a bookshop at that address.

For the final one of the Free Film Fridays on 24th February they're showing a selection of rare archive film of old London (1941-1951) from the London Metropolitan Archive. I went to see one of their film screenings last summer which I really enjoyed so I'm hoping to get to that one if I can.

The main Nunhead and Peckham Free Film Festival takes place in September and the idea is spreading as there are now plans for one in New Cross too in late April/early May. If you'd like to help with the organising of the New Cross one, there's details on their website for their next planning meeting on 27th February.

No comments:

Post a Comment